Web Business Blogger for ShoppingMallDC.com! It's packed full of Business Newsletters & Political advice!

Thursday, December 10, 2009

HELP Committee Chairmanship: New Challenges and Opportunities

 
September 16, 2009
 
 

Dear Friends,

I was honored to accept the Chairmanship of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions or HELP Committee last week.  To serve in this capacity is to carry on the legacy of the late Senator Ted Kennedy, who dedicated his career to making sure our economy works for all Americans, and to advance the cause of his life: access to quality, affordable health care for all Americans.  I consider this the opportunity of a lifetime.

The HELP Committee works on issues that touch the lives of all Iowans, and all Americans for that matter, each day – health, education, the rights of working families and retirement security to name just a few. 

Of course one of our first orders of business is to continue working to enact meaningful health reform.  Senator Dodd will continue to play a leading role in that effort, and as Chairman, I intend to ensure that.  I will be right by his side, making certain that prevention and wellness are at the forefront of this effort.

The full agenda of the Committee will focus on reforming federal student loan programs so that we can stop subsidizing private banks and instead focus on loans that the federal government can make more cheaply.  We can save $87 billion over 10 years in that effort, and use that money to increase Pell grants for low- and middle- income college bound students, and to fund other important education initiatives.  I also want to shore up efforts to increase the safety of our nation's food supply and preserve the rights of American workers.

Many of you know that I authored the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and have long fought to protect the rights of individuals with disabilities.  This Chairmanship will allow me to continue to advance those rights.  

Of course it was not an easy decision to give up my Chairmanship of the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry.  My dedication to the agriculture community dates back to my first year in Congress in 1975 when I served on the House Agriculture Committee.  Since then, I have had the great privilege of serving as Chairman during enactment of the 2002 and 2008 farm bills – bipartisan legislation that passed with an overwhelming majority.  I am proud to continue serving as a senior member of the Senate Agriculture Committee and to keep up my work pushing for a variety of initiatives in food and nutrition, agriculture, conservation, rural development and renewable energy.

It is because of past farm bills that support for renewable energy and farm income grew exponentially, acres and acres of lands were preserved through conservation efforts and food assistance is covered for American families who need it.  Working with the agriculture community to get these things done has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

The next few months in Congress will be invigorating and I look forward to the challenges and opportunities ahead.



Your Senator,

Tom Harkin

Subscriptions

*By answering this survey, you are subscribing to my newsletter

*By answering this survey, you are subscribing to my newsletter


Followers