Web Business Blogger for ShoppingMallDC.com! It's packed full of Business Newsletters & Political advice!

Saturday, May 31, 2008

His freaking phone company

 

Rock the Vote
spacer

Phillip,

As you may have noticed, I sometimes forward on e-mails from CREDO Mobile. That's because CREDO Mobile is Rock the Vote's online voter registration partner and organizes around incredibly important progressive issues. Already this year, 600,000 young people have used Rock the Vote and CREDO Mobile's online registration tool. Rather than just explaining what CREDO does, CREDO suggested that we pass on this (real!) blog post:



Posted by benwyskida April 25, 2008 on the PinkoMag Blog

In 1999 I joined Working Assets long distance. I did it almost entirely because they sent you two free coupons for Ben & Jerry's with each bill, and who wouldn't like that? In 2002 I switched to their cell phone service. In the early Wild West days of socially-responsible living, Working Assets was a gamble. It was expensive; service would fade in and out, and once an operator told me nicely that my phone might have problems working in downtown Philly because there were lots of "obstacles," also known as buildings.

BUT I loved the fact that they gave piles of money to progressive nonprofits; that they sent action alerts in my cell phone bill and I could order lefty books; and the fact that my cash WASN'T going to a major media cell phone company. And I waited, patiently, for the point where the service was good enough and it was a safe enough bet that I could say to all my friends: There is no reason NOT to have them as your mobile provider, especially if you want a nice easy way (and who doesn't) to do a little something for the left.

Last week, I notified them that I had moved. And my phone company—my freakin' phone company—emailed me a link to a voter registration form, so that I didn't forget to change my registration info. Two days later they emailed again to ask if I'd changed the registration yet. Two days after that I got a letter, triple checking that I was registered. I thought, okay, that's awesome. It's time. Everyone should take the plunge.

I realize that this is pretty shameless and pretty pushy a plug. Anticipating that, I'm ready to answer questions I'm sure you'll have that are preventing you from giving your $60 a month to a good company and instead paying $60 a month for the salary of the can you hear me now guy.

1. Is it a real phone company?
Yes. It's like Sprint. Or T-Mobile. Or Verizon. You pick a plan, they send you a phone, you call people.

2. Are the phones made of hemp and cashew nut cheese?
I wish! But they're not. They have real actual phones with cameras and text messages.

3. Can I keep my number, and what about the contract?
Gotcha on this! Yes, you can keep your number. And ... wait for it ... Working Assets will pay off your contract. There is literally no risk or reason. (Oh: the one debbie downer is that if you have an iPhone, Apple struck a deal and you can't use a different service provider. It sucks, and maybe it will change.)

4. Is the service good? Is it more expensive?
The service, I'm glad to say, is now just as good as any other phone. Totally comparable. As for more expensive, it may be slightly more depending on the plan. But even if it is, those couple more dollars are going to prison reform organizations, media justice groups, nifty indie media outlets, and women's rights. You help all those people and don't have to do anything, you just talk talk blah blah like usual and pay your bill and then awesome groups get money.

5. How do I join CREDO Mobile, ditch my corporate cell phone and do good things?
Click here. Go!


Click here to find out more.

Together with CREDO, we're going to register two million young voters this year. Thanks for making a difference. Thanks for rocking the vote,

Heather Smith
Executive Director | Rock the Vote


*P.S. CREDO's lawyers asked us to include this: (c) CREDO 2008. All rights reserved. Ben & Jerry's (R). Ben & Jerry's is a registered trademark of Ben & Jerry's Homemade, Inc. and is used by CREDO Mobile under license. Sprint (R). CREDO Mobile is powered by Sprint's nationwide all-digital network, reaching over 250 million people. Sprint is the network provider only; your service is handled exclusively by CREDO Mobile. Sprint is a trademark of Sprint Nextel. T-Mobile (R). Verizon (R). "Can You Hear Me Now" (R) Verizon. iPhone (R). Apple (R). CREDO Mobile will pay off your contract: We will credit your CREDO Mobile account (up to $200) thirty days after we receive a copy of your prior carrier's termination fee charges; details to follow by mail. Blog post excerpt used by permission from Ben Wyskida. CREDO donates piles of money to 50 progressive nonprofit groups nominated by our customers every year. CREDO Mobile does not believe that all Debbies are downers.


spacer
Powered by Convio

If you wish to unsubscribe from the Rock the Vote list, Click Here.
© Copyright 2008 Rock the Vote

Followers